Anorexia & Bulimia
Anorexia and bulimia are eating disorders that cause people to obsess about weight and what they eat. They are characterized by a distorted body image, with an unwarranted fear of being overweight. Symptoms include trying to maintain a below-normal weight through starvation or too much exercise. Medical treatment may be needed to restore a healthy weight. Often, therapy is the best way to work through these issues.
Symptoms & Signs of Anorexia & Bulimia
- Many people with eating disorders have major depressive disorder. They may withdraw socially, be irritable, have insomnia, and experience reduced libido. In some patients, the symptoms of major depressive disorder are physiological responses to starvation and resolve as the patient restores their body weight during treatment.
- Most people with eating disorders suffer severe anxiety. Anxiety may cause Bulimics to continue eating when they are no longer hungry.
- People with Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia are often preoccupied with food and may collect recipes or hoard food.
- People with eating disorders are often perfectionists.
- People with Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia are often uncomfortable eating in public, often feel ineffective, and have a strong need to control their environment.
"I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
- Laurie Halse Anderson
Helpful Links For Anorexia & Bulimia
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED) - A multidisciplinary professional organization that focuses on Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder and related disorders. Also sponsors a newsletter and a conference.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - Formerly the American Dietetic Association, offers information about eating disorders, including an extensive nutrition reading list and a professional directory that allows visitors to search for Dietitians specializing in eating disorders.
- Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) - The Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) is the national organization focusing on increased prevention, diagnosis, and treatment for Binge Eating Disorder.
- Diabulimia Helpline - Diabulimia Helpline is the world's first non-profit organization working to help those afflicted by diabulimia, and raise awareness of this deadly disease.
- Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action (EDC) - This website offers the opportunity to join advocacy efforts at the federal level.
- F.E.A.S.T. - F.E.A.S.T. is an organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.